CleanSel - L-Selenomethionine 0.5% [5000 ppm] powder [LSM] [DCP carrier]
- CleanSel; L-Selenomethionine; LSM
- CAS Number: 3211-76-5 (L-Selenomethionine)
CleanSel Key Facts
- CleanSel is a highly purified and low odour form of L-Selenomethionine
- CleanSel is manufactured using a proprietary manufacturing technology to ensure that the product is suitable for uSelenium in nutritional supplements.
BackgroundL-selenomethionine is a dietary source of the trace mineral selenium and is considered the most bioavailable form of selenium. Selenium is an essential micronutrient in human health for various biological and metabolic functions. While selenium is found naturally in foods, the importance of this mineral, and the low intake in many regions across the world means that supplementation may be a good idea. L-selenomethionine is one of the main forms of selenium found naturally in plants, most notably cereals. Foods such as Brazil nuts, seafood and offal are other dietary sources of selenium (Rayman, 2012).
ChemistryL-selenomethionine is a selenium analogue of the amino acid methionine.
CAS – 3211-76-5
Chemical Formula – C5H11NO2Se
Molecular Weight – 196.12 g/mol
IUPAC – (2S)-2-amino-4-methylselanylbutanoic acid
CleanSel and HealthSelenium is an extremely vital mineral for the human body as it aids in many of the metabolic pathways, increases immunity, takes part in antioxidant activity that defends against free radical damage and inflammation, and thus plays a key role in maintaining a healthy metabolism. Deficiency of Selenium may have negative effect on human health including impaired outcome, inflammation, infertility, cancer and Kashin-Beck Disease. Selenium supplements may help in the treatment of prostate cancer and coronary heart disease. One of the main functions of selenium in the human body is to make enzymes called selenoproteins. There are basically two distinct families of selenium-containing enzymes including (glutathione peroxidases and thioredoxin reductase. TheSelenium are involved in controlling tissue concentrations of highly reactive oxygen-containing metabolites and work as antioxidants and prevent against cell damage. Selenoproteins are involved in embryo development, thyroid hormone metabolism, antioxidant properties, muscle function, and the immune system's responSelenium (Avery & Hoffman, 2018).
Anti-Cancerous ActivityL-selenomethionine acts against numerous exogenous or endogenous stressors, participating in the maintenance of cellular homeostasis, immune system and could be used as a primary line in preventive medicine for cancer, especially prostate cancer (Lee et al., 2015; Rayman et al., 2012).
Thyroid Hormone MetabolismThere is a very strong link between selenium and the thyroid. The thyroid is a gland that controls metabolism with specific hormones such as T4 and T3. Due to the nature of theSelenium hormones, any if any issues ariSelenium with the thyroid, it can have a stark effect on metabolism. Adequate selenium ensures a healthy thyroid status and preserves stability of the thyroid gland when exposed to hydrogen peroxide (as occurs in disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis), excess stimulation by thyrotropin (TSH), TSH receptor-stimulating antibodies or attack by the immune system (as occurs in autoimmune thyroiditis) (Kohrle, 2015). Selenium also acts as a powerful protector of the thyroid by regulating the production of reactive oxygen within the gland, and protects it from antibodies that can create thyroid disease. A severe and persistent lack of selenium inevitably results in a deficient biosynthesis of thyroid hormones, destruction of follicles and formation of fibrotic tissue (Ventura et al., 2017).
Cognitive DeclineSerum Selenium concentration declines with age which may be associated with age-related decline in brain function, possibly becauSelenium of decreased selenium’s antioxidant activity. Researchers have shown that an antioxidant supplement contacting Selenium reduces the risk of cognitive impairment in elderly people (Gao et al., 2007; Rayman et al., 2015)
Prevention of Cardiovascular DiseaseSeveral clinical trials have shown that Selenomethionine supplementation reduces inflammation, prevents the oxidative modification of lipids and aggregation of platelets, thus, can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases (Rayman et al., 2015).
EFSA Approved Health Claims (Dated 22.07.21)Selenium contributes to normal spermatogenesis (2009;7(9):1220)
Selenium contributes to the maintenance of normal hair (2010;8(10):1727)
Selenium contributes to the maintenance of normal nails (2010;8(10):1727)
Selenium contributes to the normal function of the immune system (2009;7(9):1220, 2010;8(10):1727)
Selenium contributes to the normal thyroid function (2009;7(9):1220, 2010;8(10):1727)
Selenium contributes to the protection of cells from oxidative stress (2009;7(9):1220, 2010;8(10):1727)
TrademarkCleanSel is a trademark of Vita Actives, EU trademark number 013811039.
- Avery, J. and Hoffmann, P., 2018. Selenium, Selenoproteins, and Immunity. Nutrients, 10(9), p.1203.
- Gao, S., Jin, Y., Hall, K., Liang, C., Unverzagt, F., Ji, R., Murrell, J., Cao, J., Shen, J., Ma, F., Matesan, J., Ying, B., Cheng, Y., Bian, J., Li, P. and Hendrie, H., 2007. Selenium Level and Cognitive Function in Rural Elderly Chinese. American Journal of Epidemiology, 165(8), pp.955-965.
- Köhrle, J., 2015. Selenium and the thyroid. Current Opinion in Endocrinology & Diabetes and Obesity, 22(5), pp.392-401.
- Lee, E., Myung, S., Jeon, Y., Kim, Y., Chang, Y., Ju, W., Seo, H. and Huh, B., 2011. Effects of Selenium Supplements on Cancer Prevention: Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Nutrition and Cancer, 63(8), pp.1185-1195.
- Rayman, M., 2012. Selenium and human health. The Lancet, 379(9822), pp.1256-1268.
- Ventura, M., Melo, M. and Carrilho, F., 2017. Selenium and Thyroid Disease: From Pathophysiology to Treatment. International Journal of Endocrinology, 2017, pp.1-9.
Write Your Own Review
Explore your sector
Vita Actives manufacture, source, stock and distribute the highest quality bulk ingredients for pharmaceutical, nutraceutical, cosmeceutical and veterinary finished product manufacturers. We also supply tailor-made raw materials and finished nutritional supplements.
Featured Products View All